Your home and the household inventory are of precious value. Are your possessions adequately covered? Are you aware of how much it will cost to replace them? Now is a great time to record all your assets! One of the best ways to do this is by walking through your house and taking a narrated video. Consider all of the things in your home including the garage, the closets, and the attic. As you go along, describe each item you can, the approximate date it was purchased, and the cost. If you can include the make, model, and serial number that helps too. Store a copy in the cloud and/or send it to a trusted relative to hold for you. You may also find one of the apps listed below helpful in tracking your inventory.
By not having enough coverage on your contents you run the risk of not being able to be made whole again if something were to happen to them.
- Electronics with serial number
- Appliances Big and Small
- Linens (Bedding, Pillows, Towels, Sheets)
- Tools and Sporting Equipment (things in the garage)
- Apparel and Accessories
- Home Décor
- Keepsakes and Collectibles
- Things you keep in storage.
People typically underestimate what they have in their homes. Most policies will replace old for new items. In addition to taking a narrated video, save receipts and make a spreadsheet of items or use one of the apps you can download on your phone, as listed below. Per the recommendation of Dash, here is a list of great home inventory apps:
- Sortly (iOS, Android): Best Overall
- Memento Database (iOS, Android, Desktop): Most Versatile
- Nest Egg (iOS): Most Features
- MyStuff (iOS): Best for Organizing Collections
- Magic Home Inventory (Android): Best for Multiple Properties
- BluePlum Home Inventory (iOS): Best for Remote Management
- Smart Inventory System by NonZeroApps (Android): Best for Tracking Quantities